Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Wok N Roll!

Happy Wednesday all!! I hope you’re having a great week!!! I’m going to share some recipes today, both of which I happened to make last night! The first recipe I’m going to share is Quinoa Fried Rice, yum! First off I was so excited to get to use my wok!! I’ve only used a handful of other times so I was thrilled to pull it out from the depths of my storage cabinet. Here’s what you’ll need:

1 ½ cups cooked quinoa (I use the tri-colored kind from Trader Joe’s)
1 tsp fresh minced ginger (optional)
4 oz chicken
1/3 cup cooked peas
1/3 cup cooked corn
1/3 cup cooked carrots
2 eggs
Peanut oil
3 tbsp soy sauce (I use the low sodium kind)
Salt & pepper




First I put 1 tbsp of peanut oil into my wok and got it nice and hot, then I added my chicken, that I cut into 1 inch pieces, and seasoned with some salt & pepper. Once the chicken was cooked I added the peas, carrots and corn. I let that cook for 3 minutes, and then I added the two eggs. I stirred that together really well and made sure the eggs were cooked. Finally I added the quinoa, ginger and soy sauce and stirred it all together until it was evenly distributed.  The ginger is optional because it will provide some additional heat, so if you like it a little spicier feel free to add it! I have also seen some recipes with scallions, again this is optional and you can add as much as you like! Wok n roll!!


The second dish I prepared was even easier then the first, baked tilapia with fresh veggies. Here’s what you’ll need:

2-3 pieces of tilapia (obviously!)
Salt & pepper
1 lemon, sliced
Bay leaves
Thyme
Basil
Extra virgin olive oil


I spread 1/2 tbsp of olive oil into a foil lined baking dish and placed my tilapia on top. I seasoned with sprinkles of salt & pepper then placed lemon slices on each piece. I then sprinkled thyme and basil over each piece and topped with some bay leaves.  I let the tilapia marinade for 20 minutes before I placed it into the oven, 350 degrees for 20 minutes. When I pulled them out of the oven I squeezed some fresh lemon juice on top of each piece, yum yum yum!! The fresh veggies were just the left overs from my quinoa fried rice, I put the carrots, peas and corn into a pan with 1/2 tbsp of light butter and sautéed until warm. Serve and enjoy!

We have been on a health kick lately and it has been so much fun coming up with new healthy recipe ideas! Don’t worry—we still do date night at least once a week and forget all about the calories but we’ve both noticed an increase in our energy level just from changing the foods we eat! I hope you’ll give these a try!

I wanted to share the latest addition to my office, my Ponytail Palm who I’ve named Cher! I felt like she had a lot of spunk and the name was very fitting, she sits on my desk and gets sunshine all day long :)


1 comment: