Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Gone Girl Review & Wine

Happy Wine Wednesday!!

We’re halfway through the week, yay! I wanted to start off by sharing yet another new and delicious wine I tried this week; it was a cabernet sauvignon from Chono Single Vineyard that I purchased at Publix. It was another incredibly smooth wine with a really nice sweet note at the end; the best part was that it was only $9! I love these great wine deals! We paired it with my yummy grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato bisque; I told you Mr Tan Lines just couldn’t get enough! I am making my first attempt at cauliflower crust pizza tonight, can’t wait to show you guys how it turns out!

Monday nights episode of The Bachelor did not disappoint per usual, so much drama! I love that Farmer Chris is coming into his own and really giving all of the girls a fair shot. If he keeps this is up there is no doubt in my mind that he will find a women to wife!

One of the one-on-one dates that they went on looked like such a dream, it was a helicopter ride over the grand canyon. It looked so, so petty! I remembered when we flew to Las Vegas and over the grand canyon and how beautiful it looked from 30,000 feet up, I can't imagine how it must have looked from their helicopter! 

My favorite right now is still Britt, she is so pretty and nice. It's also obvious that Chris really likes her! I cannot believe crazy Ashley S. is still around, that girls is nuts!

So I haven’t done my book/movie reviews in a while so I thought I’d start with one that was just recently wildly popular and ended up being a really great read! SPOILER ALERT if you haven’t read or seen Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn stahp reading, book/movie endings ahead!

What it’s about: Nick wakes up unhappily married to his wife Amy on their five year wedding anniversary. He goes to work, gets a call from a worried neighbor and POOF Amy is nowhere to be seen. We follow the detectives through the investigation and they determine that Nick killed Amy. But wait, then we find out Amy is alive and has faked her death in order to seek the ultimate revenge on her cheating husband. She plans on killing herself, changes her mind, kills an old friend instead, blames this old friend for kidnapping her and returns home to Nick. By this point Nick has figured out Amy’s plan and truly loathes her, upon her return he plans to go to the police. But wait, Amy steals Nick’s sperm from the sperm bank, impregnates herself and then tells Nick she wants a family. Nick wants a baby so bad so he decides to forgive Amy and live happily ever after. Oh, and they’re both sociopaths. One of the few books where I’ve actually mouthed “WHAT THE F**K” on more then once occasion. It was SO good!

The book switches back between both Nick and Amy’s thoughts on their relationship, which are completely different. Nick’s version is dark, depressed and show that he’s clearly miserable. Amy’s version (through a convenient journal she wrote) paint them out to be the perfect, happy couple.  Nick is completely awkward and admits that he lies to the police on various occasions, so you are lead to believe he is guilty of killing Amy. He is also having an affair with one of his students. I was truly fooled throughout the first part of the book, with Nick’s lying and cheating he is painted out to be a real jerk. My jaw dropped when we discover Amy is alive, even more that she plotted for more then a year to do this. EVEN MORE SO when we read that she let herself bleed on the kitchen floor for hours to create the necessary blood pool, that she secretly stole small amounts of money from their bank account in order to save up and how she completely made up everything in her journal! I felt like every chapter brought on some super, crazy, creepy twist…and I loved every minute of it.

You’re probably like wait—you said Amy killed someone, who?? Well, let me tell you! Amy ends up getting robbed by two people who could have had roles in Deliverance and is left with $0 to her name. She decides to call up her ex-college boyfriend, Desi, (who she claimed tried to kill himself because she dumped him) to help her out. It helps that he’s crazy rich and nuts. He is clearly still in love with Amy and willing to do anything for her, he shacks her up in his mansion of a lake house and feeds her. Amy then gets bored and begins to feel trapped; did I mention he has surveillance cameras on her 24/7? Amy wants to return to Nick so naturally she decides Desi has to die, she slits his neck and steals his car.

So now you figure out that Amy is a crazy compulsive liar who is willing to do anything to make sure you look guilty. The ending really blew my mind, first that Amy got herself preggers, second that Nick decides to stay, third that she had a frozen stash of vomit (she drank anti-freeze) ready to go in order to frame Nick again, fourth because Nick finds said vomit and throws it away so that she can’t leave him again…it just goes on and on. Halfway through the book I remember telling Mr Tan Lines that I had zero clue how the book was going to end…and I loved that! It’s so rare to read books these days that really keep you on your toes!

The movie did a great job sticking to the book; it actually followed it almost perfectly. Of course details will be lost but overall had I not read the book the movie still would have kept me guessing. I highly recommend reading the book before seeing this one. I give the book 8/10 and the movie 6/10. For some reason I wasn’t in love with Rosamund Pike and other casting choices, so that brought my rating down a bit!

I hope you all have a great rest of the day! Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment