Friday, January 23, 2015

Mexican Casserole Recipe & Flash Back Friday!

TGIF! I am so happy it’s the weekend! Even though it’s cold and raining out today, it could always be worse! The weather back in Virginia is just terrible, snow, rain & ice! Yuck!

Writing my blog yesterday got me thinking about the last time I had visited South Carolina, which was in April 2009. I came down to Myrtle Beach for spring break during my senior year of college. I was visiting a friend who had just recently moved to the area! I had such a great time going out downtown and seeing the beach.


I also go to visit Margaritaville which was so, so cool! I think I’ll have to start planning a trip so Mr Tan Lines and I can go have some fun!



I wanted to share my recipe for Mexican casserole, this one I actually came up with all by myself! I’m sure there are similar ones out there, but here is my take.  This recipe is more involved then my normal posts, you have to slow cook the meat for 8-9 hours in a crock pot.

You’re going to need:

1/2 lb ground turkey (or beef, up to you)
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
Taco seasoning (see my other blog for the recipe) or use a store bought packet
1 can red pinto beans
1/4 cup chopped velveeta cheese
1/2 cup Mexican cheese
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
16 corn tortillas

Here’s what I did:

Put the turkey, onion, bell pepper, chicken broth and taco seasoning into a crockpot. Cook for 8-9 hours on low.

Cut 8 of the tortillas into triangles, line the bottom of a square baking dish with them in a layer. Spoon half of your turkey mixture onto the tortillas. Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese and half of the Mexican cheese on top. Spread half of the can of the beans on top of your cheese. Cut the remaining 8 tortillas into triangles and repeat the layers like above. Only this time add the velveeta, just sprinkle it around so that when it melts it covers the entire thing.


Cook at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Then raise the temp to 400 and cook for another 10. Let cool and then dig in! Mr Tan Lines was a HUGE fan of this dish and so was I, hope you try it out soon! 


No comments:

Post a Comment