Thursday, January 15, 2015

My Disaster Night With Cauliflower Pizza Crust!

Yay we’re so close to Friday! I cannot wait for this weekend, it’s Mr Tan Lines 29th birthday and I have some really fun things planned! Using the fun app Timehop I found this picture we took exactly 3 years ago in Miami when we were celebrating his birthday! We went with Luti and her husband and it was so much fun!


So remember yesterday when I said was attempting cauliflower pizza crust last night? Yea well I did…and it went horribly wrong! The crust was not a crust at all, it was just a huge pile of flavored cauliflower mush. I followed the directions I found on Pinterest exactly and was so disappointed! Mr Tan Lines couldn't help but laugh, hey nobodies perfect right?! Here’s what I did and I’ll point out the areas that might have lead to my demise.

First the instructions said to place your pizza stone in the oven and pre-heat to 450 degrees. I did this. I wish I hadn't (see below). I was so excited and ready to go, look at all the yummies I purchased for our pizza!


Chop up 1 head of cauliflower (I ended up using 2, luckily I had two or it would have been even worse) and put into food processor. The highlight of the meal was that I actually got to use my food processor for the first time! Isn’t she gorgeous!?



After my cauliflower looked like “snow” the instructions said to microwave it for 4 minutes, done. Then place onto a towel, let cool and “wring out” as much juice as possible. I had Mr Tan Lines help with this part and we got about 1/3 cup of juice out of each cauliflower head. 


Then we put it back into a bowl…and umm then this is what I looked it…I know…this was when I knew something wasn’t right. But, I persevered.  This is when I decided to use 2 cauliflower heads instead of 1. So imagine the image below with twice the...the...the whatever we want to call that mess.


I then added all of the items to my bowl with the cauliflower and mixed well:

1 egg
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (shredded)
1/2 mozzarella cheese (shredded)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Here I am, mixing away the beautiful crust!


Next, mold your mixture into a ball and place on greased parchment paper. Shape your crust, not too thick and not too thin (that’s exactly what the instructions said). I used aluminum foil because I didn’t have parchment paper. After I shaped my crust I realized there was NO WAY to get it off of the aluminum foil and onto my (now super hot) pizza stone. The crust was a huge mush pie, it had the texture of mashed potatoes essentially. So plan B, I placed the aluminum foil with the mush pie on top of the pizza stone and into the oven. Baked it for 15 minutes and nothing. The edges burned but the mush remained mush.  After another 15 minutes the mush circle was burnt and you guessed it, still mush!! Mr Tan Lines threw away the mush before I could snap a picture, but trust me it wasn’t a sight to see!

So at this point I was way off my game, but had to think of someway to use our pizza ingredients. So, plan C I decided to try to make a pizzadilla. I used a flour tortilla, sprinkled mozzarella on it, along with onions, green bell peppers and pepperoni. I then cooked it stove top and voila! I ended up slightly burning it, like I said…I was way off my game but it was actually really, really good! We used the pizza sauce as our dipping sauce and we both agreed next time this is a much easier route to take!



Plan D (I wasn't just going to give up on our pizza night!) I decided to use the whole wheat pita pockets we had as crust and make some mini pizzas. These also turned out fabulous and tasted so good. Thankfully, I was able to save the meal. It was a long, hard fought battle but I came out victorious!


We both agreed next time pre-made pizza dough will work just fine, but it did make for a night full of laughs; and that’s all that matters in the end! :) 

Miss Lily captured my reaction to the cauliflower pizza crust perfectly, don't you think?!





No comments:

Post a Comment